The Congregation oft he Litle Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Gulu (LSMIG) is based in Northern Uganda and was founded in 1939 by Bishop Angelo Negri, a Comboni Missionary. The first group of Sisters professed in 1945, the Congregation is among the poorest in Uganda and the Northern region where it is based in the most neglected and economically, war-ravaged area in the country.
Members of the Congregation work cultivating the land, teaching in schools, working as nurses, and providing pastoral care. Moved by the burning love of Jesus Christ, the Sisters carry out dedicated missionary services to the underprivileged, the neglected, and the vulnerable, among them are the blind, orphans, HIV/AIDS victims, youth, women, and physically impaired children.
The Little Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Gulu have campaigned for the last 60 years bringing a big change about today in the attitude towards women. Most of the elderly Sisters fled their homes and exiled themselves as young girls in order to to become Sisters. Years later, after they professed as Sisters, they come to be accepted by their families.
Today, there are over 486 professed Sisters, 21 novices and 19 postulants. The war has greatly affected vocations and our numbers have dropped considerably. Many young women who feel the call do not possess even the basic education needed to qualify for continued vocational studies, as a result of UPE (Universal Primary Education).